BEST NOVEL (40,000+ words)
• We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Jay Fowler (Excerpt)
• The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Excerpt)
• Fire with Fire by Charles E. Gannon (Amazon Excerpt)
• Hild by Nicola Griffith (Amazon Excerpt)
• Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Excerpt) WINNER!
• The Red: First Light by Linda Nagata (Excerpt)
• A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar (Excerpt)
• The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Excerpt)
BEST NOVELLA (17,500 – 40,000 words)
• “Wakulla Springs” by Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages (Full)
• “The Weight of the Sunrise” by Vylar Kaftan (Full) WINNER!
• “Annabel Lee” by Nancy Kress
• “Burning Girls” by Veronica Schanoes (Full)
• “Trial of the Century” by Lawrence M. Schoen (Full)
• “Six-Gun Snow White” by Catherynne M. Valente (Excerpt)
BEST NOVELLETTE (7,500 – 17,500 words)
• “Paranormal Romance” by Christopher Barzak (Full)
• “The Waiting Stars” by Aliette de Bodard (Full) WINNER!
• “They Shall Salt the Earth with Seeds of Glass” by Alaya Dawn Johnson (???)
• “Pearl Rehabilitative Colony for Ungrateful Daughters” by Henry Lien (Excerpt)
• “The Litigation Master and the Monkey King” by Ken Liu (???)
• “In Joy, Knowing the Abyss Behind” by Sarah Pinsker (Part 1, Part 2)
BEST SHORT STORY (less than 7,500 words)
• “The Sounds of Old Earth” by Matthew Kressel (Full)
• “Selkie Stories Are for Losers” by Sofia Samatar (Full)
• “Selected Program Notes from the Retrospective Exhibition of Theresa Rosenberg Latimer” by Kenneth Schneyer (Full)
• “If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love” by Rachel Swirsky (Full) WINNER!
• “Alive, Alive Oh” by Sylvia Spruck Wrigley (Full)
Nothing much to not about this year’s nominees. I see quite a few females up here. There are more non-unique female nominations than male, and not by a small margin. That’s nice to see.
Interestingly, I have not heard any reports about this. Only way I knew was from John Scalzi’s blog. Interesting. Makes me wonder if the Nebulas are still worth it, if anyone cares but SFWA people.
Also, eight nominees for novel? Really?